Crochet Progression

Originally posted 3/21/12:

These are the items I have made with crochet, and in some cases the yarns themselves before they became articles of clothing or fun little items. My knitted items will follow in the next post.


My first completed project was a scarf, of course. I fondly refer to this one as my Amoeba Scarf. I had absolutely no concept of counting my stitches or how to turn it or start a row. I just sort of..."did" it. 

My second project was a scarf I made for my mother. Unfortunately, as she has it, I do not; therefore, I have no pictures of it at this time. I not only counted but I was meticulous at making sure the changing colors in the yarn pooled in the way I wanted them to. It was actually very pretty, at least I thought so.


A gift from my mother and sister for Christmas a couple years back. Used some, thinking about using more. Red Heart Super Saver Multi in Bon Bon Print. This yarn was used to create the following, though the picture above is actually what remains from this project.


The wild colors appealed to me (I adore color), so I made arm warmers out of them. I followed no pattern, just crocheted a random trapezoid and then tied one side to the other. As you can see, they aren't the same size at all and both are much too big for me to wear comfortably, but they are warm. I have these armwarmers and the additional yarn in a project bag now, waiting to be frogged and then redone. Leftovers will likely become baby hats for the little girls I know.


Schachenmayr nomotta Micro (microfiber) in Black. I used it to make the following armwarmers, and have since traded this ball away in a yarn swap.


These. These and the following project were my only crochet projects for nearly two years after those wild arm warmers. I started and restarted, finished, was disappointed and ripped back, these arm warmers. They even have holes for the thumbs to come out and were sized precisely to me. They are not even; one is longer than the other which was a slight mistake. I wanted them to go up and over my elbows without sliding off them, and they do that! But I didn't compare the two to each other much when they were being made. Again, no pattern, I just spiraled up and up and slowly decreased to the wrist, then increased at the heel of the hand. Despite the slight issues, these are warm and snug and don't bunch in funny places. They fit me perfectly. I used a black microfiber yarn which is basically six strands of thread held together. The remaining yarn from this has since been traded away, as part of the reason it took me so long to finish these being that...well, the yarn was very very Boring.

There was another project during this time. I made a baby blanket out of an ivory bamboo silk yarn for my friends' baby. I don't have pics of that project either, but it was the first time I used any sort of a pattern, if you can call a rib stitch a pattern. 


This...this behemoth fairly ate my head for those two years. It's a blanket, perhaps mid-sized (bigger than a baby blanket but not big enough to cover a twin bed). It covers me wonderfully but I'm a small person. I started and restarted and ripped this back I don't know how many times. I put enough stress on the yarn to snap it twice, in fact. This was the project that earned me a remark from my Stake President in my church. He saw me after church in the foyer waiting for an appointment with my bishop. I had taken over an entire couch, kicked my shoes off and tucked them under this project as I worked on it. "You know, there's something so warm about watching a person knit. You feel all fuzzy." I laughed, corrected him (crochet, not knitting), and thanked him, mentioning also that it was indeed quite warm under it. 


I have no idea what this yarn is anymore and attempts to identify it have failed. It has been used in the following project and in a knitted project to be shown in the next post.


Somewhere between making the black armwarmers and the pink blanket, I made these for my friend Rosslyn. I chose the crochet stitch based on the fish-scale effect it had on this yarn she chose and voila! She says they fit like wrist supports and turned out very nice. I'm still proud of them.


I made this to get rid of some leftover yarn and mostly use it as a doll protector when I use it at all. It's kind of a chenille hand towel-type thing.


My practice yarn. Caron Simply Soft in Country Blue.
The following are swatches I made to practice different crochet stitches and train myself to read patterns. They were done for fun, that's all.





And these are the last of my crochet projects. Since these swatches, I learned to knit, and that has served to be the deathnell of my crochet.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manly Muffin Why-nots

Facial Cyst--OW

2017 in Review!